I fell in love with the buying process of one of our prospects. I am trying to recollect my thoughts since this happened many years ago.
The prospect, a multinational oil company, was in the market to buy an ERP software.
Now, you would think that they must be in a hurry to buy an ERP. But that wasn’t true.
They had an outdated system which they were using to run their business. So, it was a clear opportunity.
They were not in a hurry. Hence, they had all the time on earth.
But their buying process was very good and detailed. I am a detail oriented person. Now, you know why I liked their process. 🙂
They documented every single detail in a spreadsheet.
Business processes were documented.
And they were looking for an ERP software to automate all the processes and bring in efficiency in the process.
Their spreadsheet had all the features they were looking for.
And those features were divided into – mandatory, preferable & luxury.
It was a wonderful experience working with them. And I learned quite a bit in the process. The experience made me a well rounded person in Enterprise Sales.
I didn’t close the deal during the time I handled that Account. But I handed over the account to somebody [since I moved out] and later I learned that they finally bought the same product from us.
How many times do we get an opportunity to work with such a prospect who does a detailed work?
To me closing the deal [or starting a relationship] is as important as the value addition that I make to customers in their buying process.
It is really satisfying when you make valuable contributions to your prospects.
What has been your experience in enterprise sales?
- Focus on the process and enjoy every step in the process.
- Don’t try to sell if you don’t see a fit.
- Genuinely add value.
- Get their perspective.
- Slog. Prospects can sense that.
- Learn about their business from them and elsewhere. [Atleast to some extent.]
No product will meet all the requirements. But if you meet 80% of it, then you are good. But make sure you have some work arounds or point solutions [with integrations] for the rest 20%.
Enjoy working with your prospects!
#b2b #enterprisesales #slogovers #kkrocks