Now is the time to build your personal brand. You are an expert in your field of work. If you want everyone in your field of work to know about you or become popular for the work that you do, then you should start writing.
1. You can write articles on LinkedIn. [Great publishing tool]
2. You can write posts on LinkedIn. [Char limit: 1300]
3. You can have a blog site say www.yourname.com and start blogging.
4. Back links: You can build back links. What’s that, you ask. Other websites carrying your blog site link or even a link to your LinkedIn profile page. Why would they do that? If you write for them, they will allow you to write a small bio and there you can have the link to your company website or personal blog site or simply LinkedIn profile page. Who should you start writing for? That’s a good question to ask. You know better. In your field of work, which organization or association is considered as gold standard? Start writing for them.
5. You can write on Facebook too. You can write in the status update area or write “Notes”. Notes is a great publishing tool as well.
6. What to write about? It can be anything that would help your customers. Think of FAQs. “How to” guides. Customer stories.
What comes to your mind when you think of a particular category of Product or Service? That is called as the top of the mind recall. Brands slog it out in the market to achieve this. 50% of the sale is done already. The consumer has already made up her mind. To go with Amazon or Flipkart, for ex. And she is just searching for data to substantiate her thoughts.
We do this all the time. We prefer this to that. We have preset ideas & notions. Rarely we change them. I am not saying we are wrong. We are absolutely right in doing this. This is done based on our past experience with that brand. If it was good, our brain picks that data.
This is not just for the consumer brands. It holds good for anything. Whatever you are selling, it applies to that as well.
In my business, the customer values my expertise and consults me for advise. All knowledge based businesses – be it IT, Medical, Legal or Taxation & Audit, the customer trusts someone. That trust is built over time. Based on experiences gained with that brand.
Couple of things you can do to build your brand and make it top of the mind recall:
- Offer a free speech – on your area of expertise.
- Speak regularly in your Industry / Associations / Trade Circles etc.
- Write eBooks and offer them for free to clients.
- Organize regular meet ups on Saturdays at a local club and brand it with a name.
- Take up some social cause and solve it.
I know someone who is a Marketing legend and a very popular Author. He takes the pain to reply to each and every single comment he receives for his posts on his Website, LinkedIn, Facebook etc. That is rare. You don’t find such people. To me, he is top of the mind recall. So, what are you doing differently that makes you a rare breed and top of the mind recall?